RODINA 1.2.4: XENO INFESTATION!
Thank you for downloading Rodina, by Elliptic Games!
The planets of the Zorica System have been invaded by Xenos! Use your Blaster and Missiles to clear out the Xeno Scum at each Debris Site!
This update also adds a discoverable Grav Bike to the game. Find a nice open space and you’ll be able zip across it at breakneck speeds!
Rodina is in ACTIVE DEVELOPMENT! That means that you WILL see issues- funny behavior, crashes, poor performance on some machines, etc.
If you have any trouble with the game, please email me, particularly if you have bought the game and are not able to play it. I will give your money back with no questions asked if you aren’t 100% satisfied with your purchase (although, those who don’t try the demo first will have to put up with some scolding!)
Windows Vista (or above) and a DirectX10-capable video card are required!
* Graphics Card with 512MB VRAM
* Dual Core Processor
* Graphics Card with 1024MB VRAM
* Quad-Core processor
* Some users have reported bad performance with Intel video cards
If you feel you have information that can help flesh out this list- please send to me! After all, I can only test on ONE computer so I need your help! :)
IMPORTANT KNOWN ISSUES
THE STEAM OVERLAY CAN CAUSE REPEATED CRASHING
A handful of users are getting repeated, frequent crashes, caused/triggered by the Steam Overlay. If your game is crashing please try disabling the Steam Overlay and see if that helps.
SHIP CAN SHIFT POSITION WHEN PLAYER WANDERS AWAY FROM IT
Because the ship is no longer frozen in place, sometimes it can move when the player is wandering far away from it. This is becuase the physics situation changes far from the player’s position, and the ship is affected by that. I need to slightly rethink how I handle this stuff but for now, be careful when parking your ship on a hill.
RODINA CRASHES WHEN SOME USERS TRY TO RECORD VIDEO
A handful of users have reported that when they try to record videos with apps like Fraps and Dxtory, their game occasionally crashes and ruins their video. I haven’t definitively fixed this problem but I have reason to believe that it is because of some conflict with my music streaming library.
Workaround: There is a new option at the bottom of the options menu called “[debug] disable music”. Setting this option to “Yes” will turn music off completly, and MAY help with this crash.
**** RODINA 1.2.4 ****
* New Feature: Xenos NPCs on planet surfaces
* New Feature: New Xeno types: Soldiers, Repletes, Poachers, and Incinerators
* New Feature: Missile Launcher
* New Feature: Fire Booster Powerup
* New Feature: Health Pickups
* New Feature: GravBike
* New Feature: Component system for custom entity behavior on the Engine side
* New Feature: LOD system for entity / component management
* New Feature: Palette System for swapping material colors
* New Feature: Localization partial support. Unicode and formatted text. Auto-gen localization spreadsheet
* Removed Feature: Procedural Vanguard Chunks (will be readded once procedural generation is improved)
* New Option: “Flight Sim” control options for swapping move/look and also swapping and yaw/roll while flyiing
* New Option: Movement Difficulty option now impacts turning friction
* Improvement: Polished Gamepad look sensitivity
* Improvement: Upgrade to DirectX 11
* Improvement: Much better locking vehicle to no-physics terrain when player is far away
* Improvement: Much better character movement when there is no terrain physics.
* Improvement: Message when swapping between gamepad / keyboard mode
* Improvement: Rebuilt shader compiler so that you can recompile all shaders with System.ReloadShaders() script command
* Improvement: UserScript.lua file allows users to execute custom code
* Bugfix: Default character to font renderer, to prevent crashes
* Bugfix: DefaultFixed worldspace particles in moving interiors
**** RODINA 1.2.3 ****
* Improvement: Slow ship to 0 near Vanguard chunks so players know the ship won’t float away while they are inside
* Improvement: Refactor of codebase including new script method for creating entities
* Bigfix: Fix airlock exit teleportations / crashes
* Bugfix: Fix demo mode timer
**** RODINA 1.2.2 ****
* New Feature: Procedural Interiors
* New Feature: Vanguard Chunk locations
* New Feature: Blaster weapon
* Improvement: Added VSync option
* Improvement: Demo is now 90 minutes long and you can load savegames
* Improvement: Limit pregnancy queue before player has their first Bot
* Improvement: Bots never stop following you when outside
* Improvement: Bots are quieter
* Improvement: Made player faster inside, slower outside
* Improvement: Better Steam API error message so users know to update Steam
* Improvement: “About this Update” button added to main menu
* Bugfix: Don’t run physics while in the ship editor
**** RODINA 1.2.1 ****
* New Feature: Targeting – press T to target planets, ships or terrain. Missiles lock on to targeted entity. Can see if you have visited targeted asteroid
* NEw Feature: Altimeter
* New Feature: Reticle – tells player whether they can target or activate what they are looking at
* New Feature: Colorblind Mode – replaces colored planet UI indicators with letters.
* Improvement: Allow mods to reference classes defined outside of mod, so that we can allow “surgical” modding
* Improvement: “Relax CPU Usage” option to massively reduce CPU load at tiny cost to performance
* Improvement: Add “Return to Main Menu” button in pause menu
* Improvement: New skybox script functions (System.SetSkybox() and System.SetSkyboxGenerator()) also allow simple RGB skyboxes
* Improvement: Fix parenting of planets + allow more stars, so Modders can add in more star systems
* Improvement: In editing menu, list the interiors from the Mod folders
* Improvement: ResetActors() console function
* Improvement: Added warning message to freeform help buttons
* Improvement: Simplified the Camera Entity and gave it the functionality of the camera it owns. No more separate camera / camera entity in scripts
* Improvement: Fix actor physics blending (removes stuttering while walking)
* Improvement: Disallow mods in demo mode
* Improvement: Warn player that freeform / peaceful modes don’t have a tutorial
* Improvement: Extra tutorial stuff to make switching weapons, screenshot mode less confusing
* Improvement: Convert debris + signs to PNGs w/ black outline for better visibility
* Improvement: Always allow players to Limnal out of star amospheres
* Crashfix: Don’t delete player ship when it’s far away and dead
* Crashfix: Fixed memory corruption when actors (and possibly other objects) are removed from scenegraph
* Bugfix: Fix problem where ship gains speed exponentially and ends up a trillion km outside the solar system
* Bugfix: Fix animated physics objects (ship walkway) from breaking with high FPS
* Bugfix: fix physics meshes to work with multi-part objects
* Bugfix: Perform planet quadtree visualization tests even when camera is not parented to the planet
* Bugfix: Simplified and fixed the functions that show and constrain the cursor
* Bugfix: Prevent robots from erroneously using / replenishing the player’s jetpack supply
* Bugfix: Fix bug with file versions so that we don’t think a file is a backup just cause someone added .1 to it
**** RODINA 1.2.0 ****
* Story Update: New messages and story elements, picking up at the end of the original story
* New Feature: NPCs. Includes Vision Sensor, Eye Shader, and Procedural Voices
* New Feature: Mod Support
* New Feature: Run Toggle
* New Feature: “Limnal Assist” particles while in Cruise Mode show you when your ship is getting a speed boost in deep space
* Improvement: Enemy ships no longer respawn
* Improvement: Player position added to Scanners
* Improvement: Many story/UI polishes, inluding flashing UI Icons for target entities, and more tutorial elements
* Improvement: Major internal physics refactor
* Improvement: Scripts loaded automatically (without LoadScripts file). Errors generated when compiler finds broken dependencies.
* Improvement: Texture generation scripts refactored and much simpler now.
* Improvement: Added “Convex” and “Mesh” physics types for entities (not tested extensively)
* Bugfix: Gameplay script context was not being garbage collected, leading to hitches
* Bugfix: Fixed vehicle formation movements in non-highprocess, causing crazy distant ship movements
**** RODINA 1.1.8 ****
* New Feature: Log
* New Feature: Memory info log (Rodina and other process memory usage)
* Improvement: Add MSAA back in as an option
* Improvement: Improve planet visibility at very far distances
* Improvement: Option to turn off auto-levelling to horizon when in planet atmosphere
* Improvement: New build process, VS2013, DX11 Shader Compiler
* Improvement: Added lots of internal integrity checks
* Improvement: Fixed many potential issues uncovered by static analysis
* Crash Fix: Turn off SSE instructions
* Bugfix: Crash dumps now properly generated for Render and Generation contexts
**** RODINA 1.1.7 ****
* New Feature: Retro Mode!
* New Feature: Lighting Quality option
* New Feature: EnableGodMode() script function
* New Feature: FXAA Antialiasing (sorry- had to remove MSAA for now)
* New Feature: Freelook button (ALT) for looking around while piloting the ship
* Optimization: Added frustum culling
* Optimization: Added planet horizon culling
* Optimization: Move processing from pixel shader to vertex shader
* Improvement: Switched back to 1 3D ship model (+1 optional physics model). No more flying vs parked versions.
* Improvement: Flashlight tutorial stage
* Improvement: Activate jetpack when pressing the “down” (CTRL) button while in mid-air
* Improvement: Make fires slightly easier
* Bugfix: Turn off portals when the ship door is open
* Bugfix: Fix problem with swapping mouse buttons
* Bugfix: Fix doors which can lead to the void between interior and ship
* Bugfix: Fix tutorial messages fighting with the notification system
* Bugfix: Fix angles wall physics
* Bugfix: Fix discrepency with the entity scheduling
* Bugfix: Fix broken arrow/page keys for scrolling in menus
**** RODINA 1.1.6 ****
* New Feature: Cockpit Mode
* New Feature: Holoscreen windows + tileset
* New Feature: Sitting in chairs
* New Feature: EGHealPlayer() script function
* Improvement: Keep shader cache files loaded so we don’t need to access HDD to recompile shaders
* Improvement: Poll planet height render textures form the render thread rather than generation thread
* Bugfix: Fixed clicking outside of the bounds of a scrolling window
**** RODINA 1.1.5 ****
* New Feature: Instanced rendering and interior optimizations should improve framerate for rendering interiors.
* Crash fix: fixed a crash that occured when entites were deleted
* Improvement: Rebuilt document parser massively improves the quality of the ingame documents. Better Unicode support, support for HTML special characters, and many bugfixes
* Improvement: Rewrote windows input engine to use entirely different tech. Hoping this will cut down on strange input problems affecting a handful of users.
* Test feature: Try pressing F9, F10, and F11 to try out the procedural robot beeps and bloops!
**** RODINA 1.1.4 ****
* New Feature: Moving interiors. Player can exit pilot mode at any time. Ship keeps moving and may crash while you aren’t controlling it.
* New Feature: Reworked the ship walkway to be its own separate object. Will appear automatically when the ship is at low speeds.
* New Feature: Visited debris sites get a different icon so you can tell which ones you’ve been to.
* New Feature: Press F1 to go into Screenshot Mode and remove interface
* Improved the ship auto-levelling to be less jerky (fixed rotational inertia)
* Improved the way the atmosphere looks from space
* Major refactoring of entity management, including introduction of Worldspaces. Each worldspace (planet, interior, etc) has its own physics world.
* Bug Fix: pressing TAB will no longer close menus. Use the ESC key instead
* Optimization: migrated EGActionMoveShip from script side to engine side
* Optimization: change message-passing implementation to reduce memory allocations
**** RODINA 1.1.3 ****
* New Feature: Atmospheric Pressure simulated between each room and in space / on planets. Opening all doors on your ship causes explosive decompression. Fires cannot exist without atmosphere
* New Feature: Jetpack
* New Option: Gobal particle multiplier for Limnal performance on low-spec machines
* New Option: Planet Map size, for reducing lag on low-spec machines
* Crash Fix: Remove Steam wrapper
* Bug Fix: Do not allow players to change the tileset in the airlock
* Bug Fix: Directions of missile flames and enemy ship trails
* Optimizations to AI
**** RODINA 1.1.2 ****
* New Feature: Added ability to choose video card in options menu. WARNING: May cause crash on start!
* New feature: –default_video_adapter command line option, for fixing crashes caused by mucking with video cards
* New Feature: Enabled Offline Mode for Steam
* Crash Fix: Fixed problem with projectiles being added to physics world multiple times
* Crash Fix: Fixed error with removing terrain from a planet that no longer exists
* New control options.
- Invert controller and mouse separately.
- Option for controlling mouse “acceleration” in ship
* Turn off sound / music errors by default
* Better Steam error reporting
**** RODINA 1.1.1 ****
* New Feature: Steam Integration. Error reporting / Registration changes / Cloud Support
* Improved atmospheric shading and planetary ambient lights (primarily for improving Jarilo)
* Fixed bug that allowed fires to escape outside the ship interior
**** RODINA 1.1.0 ****
* New Feature: Ship fires (and extinguisher) (including tons of small fixes/changes)
* New Feature: Light variations inside the ship (alarm / dead ship)
* New Feature: Empty map file for starting with fresh interior map
* Fixed terrible bug that would prevent ships from generating full groups after loading savegame
* Removed ability to load savegame in demo mode. Now only auto-loads are allowed.
* Hint for atmospheric entry
* Fix crash going straight from Limnal Warp to character mode
* Button to restore default key bindings
* Help info for options menu
* Optimized distant object UI (icon) management
**** RODINA 1.0.4 ****
* New Feature: Autosaves
* New Feature: Ship Crashing support
* New Feature: Editor Undo / Redo
* New Feature: Freeform and Peaceful game modes (replace Exploration mode)
* New feature: “Update available” notification and setup file download
* Crash Fix: Change the way planets save so they don’t crash / corrupt save games
* Improved mouse handling. Better support for high-frequency mice. Smoother character rotation.
* Improved atmospheric entry:
- Made it less likely for the player to “punch through” atmosphere.
- Reduced the difficulty of the entry process. Fixed problem with entry in 2nd or 1st gear.
- Fixed save/load of atmospheric entry state.
* Improved savegame management:
- backup saves.
- Order saves by date.
- Disallow bad save names
* Made ship landings slightly easier
* Improved actor scheduling and management.
* Added option (on by default) for enemies not to respawn
* Start the game with missiles selected as the alt weapon
* Fixed combat music resetting forever after player escapes combat with Limnal Drive
* New camera shake option
* Fix missiles that are loaded from savegame not being shootable
* Auto-load last savegame when the player dies
* Added ultra-low terrain detail options
* No piloting destroyed ships
* Don’t constantly scan to refresh scripts
* Slightly improved thread management
* Improved alpha object sorting
* Fixed lighting on bomber ship
**** RODINA 1.0.3 ****
* New Feature: Gamepad support!
* New Feature: Headlights / Flashlights on the ship and character (Press “G” or “Direction pad left”)
* New Feature: Mouse smoothing
* Crash Fix: Don’t crash when loading a bad shader cache file. Try again or recompile shader.
* Crash Fix: Use tempfiles when saving savegames so that they aren’t corrupted if the game crashes
* Updated mysterious signal files to make them a bit easier.
* Don’t move ship/player around when loading the game on an asteroid
* Eliminate phantom keypress (Windows key) which overrides all other keypresses
* Fade combat music into exploration music
* Fixed problem where bad identifiers caused profiles not to load
**** RODINA 1.0.2 ****
* Crash Fix: MOPP creation failure for users in non-US locale
**** RODINA 1.0.1 ****
* Crash Fix: DirectX Initialization failing on some machines
* Crash Fix: Not handling no MSAA support
* Crash Fix: Included the correct prerequisite to install XINPUT1_3.dll
* Game Breaker Fix: Failure to save state in Exploration Mode
* Game Breaker Fix: Collecting all the books on a planet led to unending error messages
* Added “Enable Console” option in the options menu
* Added “Fix Player” button on the pause menu
* Added better turning speed options
* Added invert Y options
* Shorten length of tutorial messages
* Hide big asteroids when player gets Cruise Engine so they don’t try flying across the solar system.
* Make small asteroid icons a bit brighter and more noticable
* Minimum gravity for ships on small asteroids to make landing easier
* Fixed bug where Jarilo books would show up on Perun
* Changed the name of some key bindings
* Made Limnal Drive less affected by gravity, reduced its drift and shaking slightly
* Added MovementDifficulty for those who are having trouble with Limnal Drive, Atmospheric Entry
* YOU DIED message on death
* Allow loading savegames in demo mode when the player dies.